It is very important to know the difference between bullying and conflict. Learn the differences below as well as ways to respond.
BULLYING VS. CONFLICT
- Repeated (happens regularly)
- Intentional (on purpose)
- Imbalance of power (person has a difficult time making the behavior stop)
- Equal balance of Power
- Usually a disagreement or different point of views
- Both want the issue to be resolved
- Normal part of life
How to Respond to Bullying:
- Report it to a trusted adult right away.
- Surround yourself with friends.
- Focus on your strengths.
- Speak up for yourself.
- Do not respond to the bullying behaviors.
- Stay away from the person.
How to Resolve Conflict:
- Conflict is normal and is an equal disagreement between people
- To resolve a conflict:
- Cool down
- Describe the conflict in your own words and what caused it
- Describe your feelings from the conflict
- Listen while the other person is talking
- Brainstorm solutions to the conflict
- Try your solution; If it doesn’t work try another